The Spanish Fort, commonly called the Castle, was constructed in 1534 by Prince Filiberto d\'Orange, in the place where in 1401, King Ladislao erected a rock for the repression against the rebel citizens of L\'Aquila. In 1843 a wooden semi elevated bridge was constructed with the last campmate of the actual one, in stone. The fort, is of a square plant, it was never utilized from a military point of view but only as a lodge for the troops. Its walls are 130 meters long and 10 to 15 meters wide, the have ponderous angular bastions. The Castle is surrounded by a deep downfall of 14 meters and it is about 30 meters from the earth, even if a part is developed underground with underground walking passages and galleries. On the inside there is the National Museum of Abruzzo. In the bastion on the right hand side of the entrance there is a skeleton of a mammoth found within the city in 1954.
Basilica di Collemaggio
In 1275 Pietro fa Morrone, coming back from Lion stopped to rest in a place near the city called Collemaggio. In a dream Pietro gathered the desire of...Read More
Basilica di S. Bernardino
The Basilica di S. Bernardino of Siena is the biggest renascent in Abruzzo and began to be built in 1454 after a few years from the death of San Berna...Read More
Duomo di San Massimo
The Dome is dedicated to the Saint Patron of the City and protector of L\'Aquila San Massimo a martyr of Aveda it was built in the XII century and rec...Read More